Good Fonts for small-sized text

ginni

Good Fonts for small-sized text

Postby ginni » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

I am trying to embroider names on 3x1 inch fabric medallions for the "Family Tree" panel by Benartex. Anyone have experience with which fonts do better for such a small text size? I 've trialed a few fonts but not having much luck. I'm still on D+ ver5. I realize I may need to ditch these medallions and try another approach. Thanks for any suggestions!

Trish I

Re: Good Fonts for small-sized text

Postby Trish I » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Check out the manual but Quilting and Roman Small text go down to 0.16" (4mm) high. See pages 563 and 564
Trish I

Doris W. in TN

Postby Doris W. in TN » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Open the Onscreen Manual to your version 5 and go to the end, I think it's called the Appendices. Each font has a page showing the different letters. At the bottom it gives a recommended minimum and maximum size range for each font.
Berninas: 1130, Artista730E, 350PE (3-Series), 2000DE serger, 1150MDA serger, Bernette Deco 340; Bernina L220 Coverstitch;
Singers: 301, 201-2, 99K hand crank

Georgygirl

Postby Georgygirl » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Ginny, I make quilt labels for lots of people in my group and have used Anniversary at 9mm, very pretty script, Child's Play is a funny little childish topsy-turvy font that can go as small as 6mm, (8 is better) Lisa is one of my favorites, though you should look at the "r" in lower case and see if you want that style letter, it can go to 8mm. Zurich can go to 8mm and is a print type font. Quilters text is a different type font, I have used it at only 4mm, but it is not as pretty as the others, it is however tiny and readable. These are my favs, I find that script that is joined is best for tiny letters, you can't and shouldn't try to clip the top threads in printed type fonts, they are too small and will ravel. Also, don't clip any joins on the bobbin side, it gives you less chance to ravel. You might try others on scraps of course to see just how small you can go. Your software will automatically adjust the density and the width between letters. I have the help volumes printed so I can see what they all look like in the book, they begin on page 517. I also use Designer V5. One thing to ensure your success is to use a sticky top stabilizer (or a spray and stick) and hoop or mount your fabric on it for best result. Use a larger piece of fabric and fold or trim after you are finished emb. You can put several little labels in one hooping to save $$ and time on your project and that expensive stabilizer. There are guidelines on minimum size in the book, but I tried and found good luck doing my own thing! Oh, one more thing, use Isacord (or some other premium Polyester) if you have it, the rayon threads are beautiful but soft and this is really a thread intensive emb., be sure to use an embroidery needle in your machine. I have successfully used even metallic threads go at half speed with these--only used Yenmet (Isacord's brand of metallics) successfully with a melallic needle. Hope this helps, Georjean :wave:

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mollyshark » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:49 am

Wow, Georgy. Thanks for sharing your experience. Great info there.

Return to “Embroidery Software”