Installing version 6 on new laptop

mizlilly

Installing version 6 on new laptop

Postby mizlilly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:15 pm

I bought an HP dv7-4104 which came with Windows 7. It's 64 bit, which is what my old one was. Anything I need to do before installing the software? Or more accurately, getting one of my techy friends to help me install it?
Bernina 830,153 & WP; BL Enlighten, Sashiko & Coverhem, Brother XV8500D Dream Machine & Persona PRS100, Singer Featherweight, etc., Artista DP V6, Cutwork, Monogram Wizard+ w/ EFs.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installing version 6 on new laptop

Postby mollyshark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 pm

I have it running on 64 bit. No issues.

Senior Bag Lady
2 x 4 =: 8

Postby Senior Bag Lady » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:53 pm

I think that is the same laptop I got just awhile ago. Installing Version 6 should not be a problem at all.
Good luck.
:thumbup:

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:47 pm

I had trouble installing the Bernina Artlink 6 on a 64-bit machine. I would recommend installing your Bernina software first. Through trial and error, I discovered this seems to work every time. I can't document the exact offenders, but not all software "gets along." If you let the Bernina software install and change whatever registry settings it does first, it seems to work just fine.

A friend of mine had trouble installing MyLabel on a Windows 7 laptop, and I told her my theory. As luck would have it, she had a hard-drive disaster and had to rebuild from the ground up. She installed her Bernina software first and it worked like a champ. I know most people out there have installed Bernina's software without issues, but for those people who get stuck, you might want to try this.
Bernina 780, Activa 230PE, 1150 MDA, and Janome CoverPro 1000CPX.

mizlilly

Postby mizlilly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks Mocha! I am so grateful for the tech experts here! I did install my Artista software first, and it went without a hitch. I have everything back up and running except for my email program. Anything other than webmail is always a headache to set up... don't suppose you have any hints for that one? I usually end up calling my ISP and giving them control of my computer and just let them do it! I don't really know what Windows 7 has for email. Must find out as I really do not like webmail.
Bernina 830,153 & WP; BL Enlighten, Sashiko & Coverhem, Brother XV8500D Dream Machine & Persona PRS100, Singer Featherweight, etc., Artista DP V6, Cutwork, Monogram Wizard+ w/ EFs.

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 pm

I use Outlook as my mail client--overkill for some people, I know, but I love being able to filter my mail. I use it on both my PCs and my Macs. Windows 7 relies on Windows Live services for email--so that would be either Hotmail.com or Live.com accounts. They used to include Outlook Express, but it does not appear that they do anymore.

Your ISP probably has some sort of web-based mail--that is what they set up for you. My ISP, Comcast, has the same thing, but their email site drives me bananas. They delete the email automatically--don't get me started!

If you like the Windows Live/MSN mail, you can forward your ISP mail to that interface. I had to do that with my sister's email so she could get it on her iPhone. Her email service charged extra for forwarding to her iPhone. (I could not believe that.) I just set up the old account to forward to a Windows Live account and then had the iPhone sync with that. Voila! She got all of her mail for free. I am pretty sure you can do mail forwarding with Yahoo! and Gmail, too--I haven't ever checked. If you like their program interfaces better, forwarding will allow you to use them without having to change your email address.

mizlilly

Postby mizlilly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 am

Thanks Mocha! I am the same. The webmail deletes unread messages and such. I keep them and while I may not be interested in a certain newsletter today, I might want it a month from now! On my desktop I have MS office outlook 2007 I think, which I bought as a stand alone program. I want something like that for my laptop. I know I'm in the minority, but I like to keep my desktop emails there, and my laptop ones there, and then I have a couple of extra ones I use for different business purposes plus one in my Blackberry that I seldom use and one in my netbook, again, seldom used, but when I need them I like to have them there! The netbook is just webmail and that is fine. I have Bell for all of my phones, emails and internet. So I guess I just need to buy Outlook 2011 for my laptop eh?

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm

I really love Outlook 2010, but if you only have Outlook 2007 installed on your desktop (or if it is part of the Office suite you bought), you may be able to install the program on your laptop as well:

http://www.ehow.com/way_6177918_can-two ... ense_.html

In the single-use license, the laptop is considered an extension of your desktop. So you probably can install your Outlook 2007 on your laptop--it runs fine on Windows 7 and would save you some money if you don't want to upgrade. My son's laptop has Office 2007 and Windows 7 because they have not upgraded to 2010 at his school. Using the old software just causes fewer problems for him.

If you want to upgrade everything to Office 2010, you can do that as well.

Return to “Embroidery Software”