V6 vs. Explorations

MaryLou
2 x 4 =: 8

V6 vs. Explorations

Postby MaryLou » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Can someone explain the basic differences between Bernina's version 6
Editor Plus/Designer and Explorations? Is Explorations a useful tool without having Editor Plus or Designer? Thank you.

kmouse

Re: V6 vs. Explorations

Postby kmouse » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 am

I do not have explorations software but the info on it can be found here:

http://www.embroideryonline.com/Explorations/expoverview.aspx

A big thing I noticed on Explorations features is the Computer Requirements. Windows XP Professional was the last operating software listed. If you have a newer computer with Windows 7, you might have a problem right off the bat.

Both V6 and Explorations can work with pure .art files. Expl can be purchased at various levels starting with basic lettering at $249 and ending with a level at $849, and this price point is pretty close to V6 Editor Plus, yet will never have the digiziting features or Corel 4 Essentials program that is integrated into the V6 software (both levels). It does have some digitizing, like drawing circles, stars, etc, but I am not sure how that works on an already existing image you may have.

V6 can be purchased also in one of two levels, Editor Plus which includes Auto Digitizing (all in one digizting tool) and Magic Wand tool (bit by bit digitizing). I think it is around $1,000 (maybe less) and Designer Plus has these plus a full array of digitizing tools. Price for this is around $2,100. Bernina rarely has sales on these but if they do, it's about 25%. Both levels have Corel 4 Essentials program integrated into the software for editing and creating graphic images for print or embroidery.

If you want to just add basic editing like rescaling, with basic lettering, you might be happy with Expl. If you want to ever work with photos or drawn images, I would bite the bullet and go for V6. I have LOVED it.

Also, there are lots of webinars and lessons on V6 software on the Berninausa.com site. Also Amanda Whitlack's (sp) site http://www.exnovodesign.com/Bernina_v6.html. There is much less online information about Expl. My dealer offers software mastery classes for anyone purchasing V6 software, which you can take and retake as many times as you need.

Bernina has a basic tranfer software free on it's website, V6 Artlink. It will open most design formats now and will allow you to rescale, mirror image, rotate and transfer your design to your machine or usb stitck. If you open and transfer your design through the software, Artlink will convert your design to the appropriate format. You cannot add lettering or combine or duplicate designs but it is a start and it is free.

HTH

Kim
Bernina 830LE, 450E, Artista D+ Software, Bernina 1100 DE Serger, Handi Quilter 16 w/ Sit-down Table

MaryLou
2 x 4 =: 8

Re: V6 vs. Explorations

Postby MaryLou » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Embroidery Software”