Laptop recommendations anyone?

SewLucky

Laptop recommendations anyone?

Postby SewLucky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 pm

I am thinking of getting a laptop to put my Bernina embroidery software V6 on and am wondering what brand to get? I like Macs, but used to always have a PC, so could go either way here. I currently use an iMac destop where I installed Parallels, Windows 7 then the V6 embroidery software, but would like to go to classes at the dealer now. Any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated!
B780E/ 630E/ B350PE/ 1300MDC/ 1100DA/Janome AQS2009
Live each day like the gift it is.

kmouse

Re: Laptop recommendations anyone?

Postby kmouse » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Well, I just ordered an HP laptop and even ordered the touch screen for Windows 8. Many negative things have been said about it but after looking for a while, I think I can learn it. I will lose the ability to use MyLabel software and older versions like Art Design but it's definitely time to update. I did find a PC with Window7 that could be upgraded to Windows 8 but chose another PC instead. From my reading, I didn't think Version 5 could be used with Windows 7. :?

There are two customers at our shop with macs and they really had little trouble with V6. Right click was the main thing I remember about having some confusion. I tried to look for info on using D+ on am Mac but couldn't find anything. I know I have seen it before but submitted a question to support for this. If anyone has the link, please pass it on. AND I wonder if Version 5 could be used on a Mac? Might be an option for those with 5 who need to update computers but don't want to do both. :?

Link for windows 8 and various BERNINA software:
http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Support/Software/Windows®-8-and-BERNINA-Software-us/Windows®-8-and-BERNINA-Software-us

Any thoughts?

Kim
Bernina 830LE, 450E, Artista D+ Software, Bernina 1100 DE Serger, Handi Quilter 16 w/ Sit-down Table

MochaB
2 x 4 =: 8

Postby MochaB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:24 pm

I have a Surface Pro, a new MacBook Pro, and a 22-month- oldSony Vaio. If you want a Mac, you can always enable BootCamp and buy a copy of Windows. You pay more, but Apple makes very nice hardware, and if you evaluate the components fairly, they are not unreasonably priced.

In either a Mac or a PC, the trick is choosing between the traditional hard drive or the models with the new SSD drives. The SSD drives have great performance, but they are expensive. If you store a lot of data, it may be more cost effective to choose a traditional hard drive.

I like the Surface Pro for the times when a touch screen is useful and because it is so small. It is quick, responsive, and lightweight. My old Sony is still a good PC, but it has a traditional hard drive and is not as speedy as the Surface. It sounds like you would like a larger screen, so you might want to consider the 13-inch laptops as a good compromise and look for the ones that weigh 3 to 4 pounds. As for brands, I have had very good luck with Lenovo. I have two Sony laptops. I like them, but both of them had failed hard drives before they were two years old. Other than that, I really enjoy them.
Bernina 780, Activa 230PE, 1150 MDA, and Janome CoverPro 1000CPX.

kmouse

Postby kmouse » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:18 pm

MochaB wrote:I have a Surface Pro, a new MacBook Pro, and a 22-month- oldSony Vaio. If you want a Mac, you can always enable BootCamp and buy a copy of Windows.....
... so you might want to consider the 13-inch laptops as a good compromise and look for the ones that weigh 3 to 4 pounds. As for brands, I have had very good luck with Lenovo. I have two Sony laptops. I like them, but both of them had failed hard drives before they were two years old. Other than that, I really enjoy them.

Hi Mocha.
You're more patient than I am. If my hard drive would fail before two years old, it would be dead to me forever. :thumbdown: I also read that BERNINA recommends a minimum screen size of 15 inches.
But I do have a question about Macs and V5. Do you know if V5 would run on a current Mac as you described?

My laptop comes this week. I am both jazzed and scared. I know I will eventually learn touch screen features but I am wondering if I can hang on to my old laptop with Windows XP to operate My Label software.

Help?
Kim
Bernina 830LE, 450E, Artista D+ Software, Bernina 1100 DE Serger, Handi Quilter 16 w/ Sit-down Table

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 am

To run Bernina embroidery software on a Mac, you have to emulate Windows. Bernina's software packages are based on Corel Draw, and Corel does not have any plans to develop on the Macintosh platform. I am guessing you could install a compatible version of Windows in BootCamp or run an emulator with an older version of Windows. As for screen size, bigger will make things easier for you--but if you want a smaller laptop, you can always attach a monitor for the times when you are working with the software.

Traditional hard drives fail--it is not a question of if--it's when. Even the new SSD drives aren't perfect. I keep my data backed up so when a hard drive fails, I can just install a new one and move on.

kmouse

Postby kmouse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Just got my new laptop today with Windows 8 touchscreen. We had a tech guy transfer data and make sure printers, and network was all fine and playing well together. I was able to install Version 6 without a major problem and it seems o work fine. I also installed Design Works and it looks fine also. Initially, I had an installation cd for this with codes for each part of it. But I read that for Windows 8, I was supposed to use the newer DW7570 that is located on the website. I just downloaded it from the website without the dongle in and then just plugged it in when prompted. Whew! :clap: not too bad!

Tomorrow I will install Eq7 and other smaller items and hope I get to play after that.

Have a good weekend.

Kim

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 am

I'm glad you were able to pick out a new computer. I hate upgrading hardware, but I am always glad I did. I hope your new machine is speedy and had a nice new display that makes V6 a joy to use. :-)

My own experience with Windows 8 is that it ran everything from Windows 7, but I don't have V6 yet. I am thinking of buying this fall, if I can convince myself I would have the time to use it.

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mollyshark » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm a fan of carbonite for backup. I've accidentally deleted more than my share of stuff and it is simple to get it back...not to mention what would happen with a failure.

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 am

You are very smart to subscribe to an online service, Molly. It's great for recovering that stuff you shouldn't have deleted, but it is priceless if you lose a hard drive or if your laptop is stolen or destroyed. I know some people who lost all of their possessions in a house fire. Had they subscribed to an online service, they would not have lost any of their data.

Return to “Embroidery Software”