The 3 Series have arrived?

BerNinja
Owner/Administrator
Owner/Administrator
2 x 4 =: 9

The 3 Series have arrived?

Postby BerNinja » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:26 pm

It seems these days we are all soaking up summer! I visited the Bernina website and saw that they have released the 3 Series: http://www.berninausa.com/3series/en-us/ (Or maybe I have been totally out-of-the-loop - which is totally plausible). Has anyone seen these in person? I also read somewhere about a new 635 machine? (Severely out-of-the-loop - the summer has been a steamer here in DC!)
Artista 730e | Artista 630e | Virtuosa 153QE | 1300MDC

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The 3 Series have arrived?

Postby mollyshark » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:33 am

Haven't seen but am going to peek at Bernina today. This is a seriously attractive machine. This is to replace the Activa line, is that correct? I like the simplicity of the looks of the Activa line, but can see why they went to this. Snap on feet? Does it also take regular feet? I have snap on for my 210 but have to admit they drive me nuts. There is nothing like the regular Bernina feet...nothing. Even on a 3/4 machine.

I'm waiting for an upgrade to the 200/730 line and I'll jump in. Haven't seen nor heard of the 6 series you're referring to!

RoseSews
2 x 4 =: 8

Postby RoseSews » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Regarding the 6 Series: That reminds me of what they did with the Auroras. First they had the 430 and 440 and then came out with an anniversary edition, which was the 435 in Europe, but was called a 450 in the US - confusing? I had the 450 briefly, but traded it up for the 640E. The main difference there was the 450 had the 9mm stitch width, but the other Auroras had the 5.5mm stitch width.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rose-sews/

Rose's Favorite Toys:
Artista 640E ~ Bernina 1090S ~ Bernina 2000DE Serger ~ Bernette 990DCC Cover/Chain Stitch ~ Baby Lock Blind Hemmer ~ Deco 340 ~ Deco 650 ~ Baby Lock Evolve ~ Janome CoverPro 1000CPX

Doris W. in TN

Postby Doris W. in TN » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 pm

mollyshark wrote: Haven't seen nor heard of the 6 series you're referring to!

The new 635 has "skins" you can select, or create/upload your own. Here's the Bernina International site: http://designskins.com/partner/bernina/shop.html?lang=en
That page shows the Activa also, but right now I think only the 635 will have this in the U.S.

Here is a page from the U.S. site http://berninausa.com/product_detail-n2-i328-sUS.html
Berninas: 1130, Artista730E, 350PE (3-Series), 2000DE serger, 1150MDA serger, Bernette Deco 340; Bernina L220 Coverstitch;
Singers: 301, 201-2, 99K hand crank

mizlilly

Postby mizlilly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Molly, I think you can buy a piece to put on your 210 so it will take all of the regular feet in the regular way... not sure though...

I see that all of the new 3 series machines come with the snap-on feet. I recently bought a White Pearl from a friend and am extra glad now because of that! I have been too busy to even try her out since I picked her up last Thursday and right now I am sewing for a wedding... just reading while taking in sustenance dh brought me (ice cream :lol: ). Back to the pants for my grandson... I sure hope they fit! :?
Bernina 830,153 & WP; BL Enlighten, Sashiko & Coverhem, Brother XV8500D Dream Machine & Persona PRS100, Singer Featherweight, etc., Artista DP V6, Cutwork, Monogram Wizard+ w/ EFs.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing

Quiltmaker

Postby Quiltmaker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 am

The 3 series can absolutely take the usual one piece metal feet but is sold with the soles They sew very solidly and to my mind feel just like an Aurora, the same mechanical solid sewing feeling but with electronic controls. I really liked the 3 series I sewed with at a Craft Fair and if I had spare money I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The harp size is only a couple of centimetres smaller than the distance from needle to the side of the harp than on my Aurora. They might be abit small if you were planning on quilting massive quilts in there, but apart from that they don't really feel like a scaled down machine, because they aren't that much smaller in all the areas that count like buttons, control panel, dials etc. Ithink depending you your needs just to be aware of which nodels include mirror imaging side to side and which do not, if you do applique this could be very important. I'd also be aware that different numbers of stitches and buttonholes are on different machines, so it really is just a matter of working out what you want and which machine will give you those features.
Now I want to know who here will be first to buy one of these little wonders?
My Bernina herd: 820, 2 x Aurora 440QE one with embroidery module, for travel: B380, Activa 215, and for knit sewing: 800DL overlocker, 009DCC cover and chain
Fun Vintage girls: 900 Nova, 1010

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mollyshark » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 am

Mizlily, my 210 takes the regular feet anyway without a special attachment. I tried the snap on and I don't know if they felt different or it was a mental thing but I FELT better using the regular feet! It's kind of a dilemma. I bought the 210 a great deal for doing topstitching. I like the straight stitch of the 5mm and I wanted to keep colored embroidery thread for topstitching in that machine and my usual ugly stuff in the 200 for the seams and not have to rethread (I'm inherently lazy). But, of course, I am very limited in how far in I can topstitch with a 5 mm machine! I'm used to going far left and right in the 20 with the #10 foot to achieve some of the stitching I like to do. I'm not going to buy another machine JUST for that (out of room, out of cash, and possibly out of my mind if I do) so kind of rock and a hard place here. I will go play with the 3 series just for fun. I don't see it as a replacement for my 200, but I do know if the 450 had been around when I bought the 200, I would have purchased it for sure. I think it's the best garment machine out there.

MochaB

Postby MochaB » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 am

I can see the benefits of the 3 series, too, but they don't seem to be a huge leap over the Activas. If you look at them closely, you will notice the button and screen layouts are identical--just different shapes. I love red, so I am glad I got an Activa. It looks so cheerful in my sewing room. I just used it to sew a new awning for my in-laws. Their old one wore out and they thought it would be simple for me to whip up a new one. Nine hours later....

I have to say the Active burned through the canvas without a problem. The stitching was beautiful. That machine never fails to impress me.
Bernina 780, Activa 230PE, 1150 MDA, and Janome CoverPro 1000CPX.

Latifolia

Postby Latifolia » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 am

Ditto that, Mocha. I used my Activa to sew boat cushions on the heaviest marine Sunbrella, and it worked like a charm. The only problem was finding a way to deal with the large, heavy cone of special thread. I finally, out of desperation, wound it onto another bobbin and used that.

Senior Bag Lady

Postby Senior Bag Lady » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 am

Does anyone know the MSRP of the 300 series?

Return to “3 Series”