Throttle vs M 1/2 button

jerwin
2 x 4 =: 8

Throttle vs M 1/2 button

Postby jerwin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

One of the supposed advantages to the three series over the activa was the speed control lever. The activas, I believe, have a "M 1/2" button, which apparently limits the maximum speed of the motor.

However, the three series lever appears to control the speed sewing initiated by the "start stop button", not the pedal.Am I missing something here? If I can learn to apply 50% pressure on my pedal, what was the advantage of the "M 1/2" button?

Don't get me wrong-- I love the start stop button, especially when I'm preparing fabrics for prewashing, or making button holes. But at the same time, I wonder if Bernina took away a feature.
Bernina B330

mizlilly

Re: Throttle vs M 1/2 button

Postby mizlilly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 am

My 153 has the M 1/2 setting. The only thing I really use it for is winding bobbins. However... I understand that it is helpful for people when free motion quilting. That way they can just do pedal to the metal and not worry about the speed, concentrating instead on moving the quilt sandwich. But that is just a guess. I think my White Pearl has that too, but I really haven't used it enough yet to even be familiar with it.
Bernina 830,153 & WP; BL Enlighten, Sashiko & Coverhem, Brother XV8500D Dream Machine & Persona PRS100, Singer Featherweight, etc., Artista DP V6, Cutwork, Monogram Wizard+ w/ EFs.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing

mollyshark
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Throttle vs M 1/2 button

Postby mollyshark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am

There are some decorative stitches that come out much better at a lower speed including about anything that has a backwards stitch on it.

Return to “3 Series”