Re: 380 for me

Postby BerNinja » Thu May 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Great review, Mocha. Thanks.
Artista 730e | Artista 630e | Virtuosa 153QE | 1300MDC

Quiltmaker
2 x 4 =: 8

Postby Quiltmaker » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

MochaB, Yes I was looking at the Activa intitally as the price is good but I was worried about it missing a few key features I use alot- applique stitches especially because I teach applique amongst other things, if I had bought the Activa I would have had to switch to taking an Aurora to class for those classes, which defeats the purpose of buying a travel machine rather. But also the biggest decision was made for me by the lighting. The 3 series just has so much more lighting- 8 times more infact. I believe the Activa has 1 LED and the 3 series definately has 8- I counted them. The difference was astonishing. Coming out of a older machine for classes with poor lighting by comparison the last thing I wanted to do was miss out on lighting second time around.
We had some financial stuff crop up which threw a spanner in the works but there are always options to work around such things and with a good Mother's Day Special it made it possible. At first DH wasn't impressed intially when I told him I needed a 3 series, but pointed out it would actually cost me (and him!) more in the long run if i later had to sell and upgrade, as we'd lose money. And when he saw the lighting with the machine at night and late afternoon he was totally convinced. Message here is if you are thinking about a machine, think really hard and do whatever it takes to get into the machine that is right for you rather than compromising- even if you have to wait a while to get the machine you need. It is sooooo worth it.
My Bernina herd: 820, 2 x Aurora 440QE one with embroidery module, for travel: B380, Activa 215, and for knit sewing: 800DL overlocker, 009DCC cover and chain
Fun Vintage girls: 900 Nova, 1010

Quiltmaker

Postby Quiltmaker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:16 am

Just wanted to let you all know I've been using this in classes at night and dull afternoons and the lighting is so awesome!
There are no shadows at all around the food on both sides or the front of the foot.
I have been teaching a workshop recently on machine applique and found the adjustability really nice for some of the applique stitches, which I am so glad I held out to get on this machine. The mirror image function is particularly great to have when stitching designs down either side of a shape, such as a leaf, so the embroidery pattern is mirrored.
This little girl is easy to get in and out of our SUV, I pop it in a lightweight trolleycase and can easily manage it, and appreciate the reduction in weight for travelling to classes as well as to ASG meetings. No problems even with my less than wonderful back.
And i know its neither here nor there when a machine totally delivers on the sewing front, but I love the way she looks. She has alot of students planning and lining themselves up to buy one. Its especially nice that its very quiet at slower speeds especially so teaching is easy, I don't need to raise my voice when explaining steps of the process I'm teaching. Its great to be able to chat to your friends at sewing meetings and sew at the same time, and not have to stop to hear eachother.
I've been piecing some blocks with very tiny pieces and the stitching accuracy is wonderful, even though there is no adjustment possible to the presserfoot pressure I haven't found this at all to be a problem.
When freemotion quilting the stitching is beautiful and the machine makes a wonderful sound when running.
LOVING her!
My Bernina herd: 820, 2 x Aurora 440QE one with embroidery module, for travel: B380, Activa 215, and for knit sewing: 800DL overlocker, 009DCC cover and chain
Fun Vintage girls: 900 Nova, 1010

mizlilly

Postby mizlilly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Glad to hear it is working out perfectly for you!
Bernina 830,153 & WP; BL Enlighten, Sashiko & Coverhem, Brother XV8500D Dream Machine & Persona PRS100, Singer Featherweight, etc., Artista DP V6, Cutwork, Monogram Wizard+ w/ EFs.

https://pinkerpaws.smugmug.com/My-Sewing

janycer
2 x 4 =: 9

Postby janycer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 am

Quiltmaker wrote: LOVING her!

It definitely sounds like she was the perfect choice. Thanks for the update!
Bernina 880 (Johnnie), Bernina 820 (The Black), Bernina 710 (Foolie), Bernina 350SE (Candy), Vintage Japanese made White (Loey), Babylock Enlighten (Dancer), Babylock BLCS2 Coverstitch(Susie)

Ohia Lehua

Postby Ohia Lehua » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:04 pm

This is so timely, as my brother is hoping to buy this very machine. I watched the online video, and think that this is a great machine, but I'm not looking for a new one just yet.
" Live simply, Love seriously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, Leave the rest to God "

Bernina 1530, Elna Diva, Elna Carina, Elna Pro5 Serger, ULT2003D

Return to “3 Series”